Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Superhero Oatmeal

After my last rant regarding McDonald's oatmeal, I figured it would only be fair to provide you with a healthy alternative.

Delicious, wholesome goodness.  And I'm not talking just your everyday Quaker Oats Oatmeal. Oh no.  This is special oatmeal.  I may even go so far as to call it Superhero Oatmeal.

First things first, the recipe:
 
4 C Rolled Oats
1 C Lecithin Granules
1 C Sunflower Seeds
1 C Sliced Almonds
1 C Ground Flax Seed
1 C Wheat Germ
1/2 C Raisins
2 C Oat Bran

Note: I buy/prepare in bulk. Each mixture is approximately 24 servings . 
It's just easier and cheaper that way.  Remember, I am a poor college student.

Here is the recipe analysis I created at SparkPeople.com

Every morning, after a night filled with sweet dreams, I head to the kitchen, and make myself a delicious bowl of this superfood.  Half a cup is enough for me.


It's best if you let it soak overnight, but at least a half hour works, so plan ahead.  I let it soak in water but skim milk is also a great option.  You can eat it hot or cold, although I prefer mine hot.  One minute and 15 seconds in the microwave seems to bring it to just the right temperature.  Add milk, protein powder, chia seeds, fresh fruit...the possibilities are endless!

YUM!


"What makes it Superhero Oatmeal," you ask.  Well, I will tell you.

Rolled Oats and Oat Bran are high in Insoluble Fiber which helps promote feelings of satiety, lower the occurrence of obesity, insulin resistance, inflammation, and heart disease.   They help reduces LDL Levels and provide a good source of Vitamin E, Zinc, Selenium, Copper, Iron and Manganese.

Lecithin has been found to positively affect cardiovascular health by lowering cholesterol.  It promotes liver health and aids in the breakdown of fat.

Flax is high in Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids which has been found to be protective against cancer and acts as an anti-inflammatory. 

Sounds good to me!  Now go and start your morning right, Superhero style!

2 comments:

  1. Oh YUM...Ron and I fix ours with steel cut oats, diced apples & strawberries, sliced almonds & walnuts and then sprinkle cinnamon on top, but sometimes feel hungry an hour or so later. We will have to add some of your goodies and see if that makes a difference! Great job on the blog by the way!! HUGS, Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try that!! And thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete