Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spaghetti Squash and Snow

Oh, how I long for a day when I can simply just strap on the ole' mizunos and hit the dirt road.

But alas, yesterday was not the day.


I dream of days when I can wear cute little running outfits like this...


Or this...


Or maybe even this!

Although, I am still on the fence regarding the running skirt...  
What do you guys think? Yes, way cute? Or Pass?

Yesterday, I piled on the running gear.  Thick socks, two pairs of pants, three layers on top (tank, cold gear and windbreaker), a hat and gloves.  I was determined to brave the elements and get my nine mile run in.

Things weren't so bad for about half a mile....

The bottom of my shoes were covered in packed ice, I was soaking, and the tiny ice daggers falling from the sky were stinging my eyes.

I tried, I really really tried. And let me tell you, I'm no wussy - I have gone out for a run in -4 degree weather.  But icy and soaked?  I had to turn around after a mile and a 1/2. :(  At least I got three miles in... 

Later, after work, I had my first go at Spaghetti Squash! It was so easy (can you detect a theme?) AND super delicious.

I took my 'sgetti squash and halved it.

Filled a baking dish with half an inch of water.  Covered it with tin foil and popped it in the oven at 375 for 45 minutes.  Then I flipped the squash and continued to bake it for another 15 minutes.

Next, I scooped out the seeds and gently scraped the sides to get all the deliciousness out.



The last step was to toss it in a skillet, add spices of your choosing ( I used Garlic, Basil, Oregano, Sage and Dried Chili Peppers) and a little butter (I used about 2 T of Land 'o Lakes Light Butter).


Heat through and plate! I added a spinach salad and a slice of my seven grain sourdough loaf from Wegmans.


It was so creamy and the chili peppers gave it a nice spicy kick. It's a hit!

 
I definitely went back for seconds, but that's okay because spaghetti squash is only 42 calories per 1 Cup!  

Hope you are all having a great week!  I'm off to work now.  Tomorrow is FRIDAY! Woo-Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment