Saturday, March 5, 2011

Did you know...

...that there are brand new set of Dietary Guidelines for Americans?

Cover of the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Click to download.

I encourage you to check them out.  There is a lot of interesting information in there.  For example, in the United States, "74 percent of men and 64 percent of women are overweight or obese."  Pretty scary, huh? 

Here are some more quick facts for you:
  • 81.1 million Americans (37 percent of the population) have Cardiovascular Disease
  • 74.5 million  (34 percent) have Hypertension
  • 24 million (11 percent), ages 20 years or older have Diabetes (the majority being Type 2)
  • 78 million (25 percent)  ages 20 years or older have Pre-Diabetes
  • Almost one in two men and women have will be diagnosed with Cancer in their lifetime
  • One out of every two women, and one out of every four men will have an Osteoporosis-related fracture in their lifetime

And did you hear about Blair River

Blair River, 29, of Mesa, Ariz. Blair, a 575-pound man gained a measure of fame as spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill in Chandler, Ariz.

So sad.  All I can think is, "This could have been prevented."

I don't mean to be all depressing and morbid, especially in one of my first few blog posts, but this stuff is important! I don't know about you, but it makes me want to do something!  To help somebody! Even if it's just one person. Man, it feels so good to live healthfully.  My wish is to guide others towards this way of life and to help people see the benefits in choosing a nutritious meal over a "triple by-pass burger."  Now don't get me wrong, a burger is a delicious thing, but not in excess.  This whole situation reminds me of a quote, "I won't trade short term pleasure for long term gain."  Too bad someone didn't remind poor Blair River of that sooner.

No go and be healthy, dear readers.  Tomorrow is new day and another chance to live life to it's absolute best.

No comments:

Post a Comment